Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Study Groups
Led by Joel Guarna, PhD
1st Mondays ACT Study Group
Next meeting will be November 4, 2013 @ 8 am.
- I will run through the Matrix as we are using it at the Mercy Pain Clinic and probably have the group participate in role-play as a group of patients. We will consider various ways to use the Matrix as a tool and note where the core processes show up and how to move them within the Matrix. We will also compare this use of the Matrix to members’ experiences in different contexts. This will take most of our November meeting.
- The group agreed to start another book study since everyone valued our study of Kelly Wilson’s Mindfulness for Two last spring/summer. Our plan is to purchase and begin reading Brief Interventions for Radical Change by Strosahl et al. Please plan to read the Intro and chapters 1 & 2 by Monday, 11/4.
1st Wednesdays ACT Study Group is currently *on hold* and in re-grouping mode until we have sufficient numbers to resume.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Peer Consultation Group
Here is the agenda for the next ACT Peer Consultation Group
Friday, October 18, 2013
If you have not previously attended this group but are a mental health or healthcare professional and would like to participate, please contact me first.
*Revised with extra seasonal flavor*
Our next monthly ACT Peer Consult Group will be Friday, 10/18 @ 8 am.
- Welcome to new members and mysterious special guests, introductions.
- Brief Mindfulness Exercise: Need a volunteer to lead us into the terrifying realm of the present moment, the twilight zone, if you will. Step right up! Email me directly if you want to lead this.
- Topic 1: Recent ACT trainings. Check-in with anyone who attended one of the recent ACT trainings and returned with a vacant look in their eyes…never to be the same [insert creepy tunes here] (e.g., Kelly Wilson @ Cape Cod or Steve Hayes @ Boston).
- Topic 2: Acceptance. Bring your experiences, best practices, creative approaches and, in the spirit of practicing acceptance and of the season, your questions, difficulties, and HORROR stories. (We may want to continue this discussion beyond the October meeting.)
- Set agenda for November, December. Assuming we all survive the October meeting, where should we go next?
Extra: A few of us from the ACT Study Group
have revisited the idea of forming a monthly evolution science
reading/discussion group, likely to be after work hours and in a more sociable setting. Perhaps the graveyard at midnight? Let me know (email me
) if you are interested.