Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Peer Consultation Group
The ACT Peer Consultation Group meets on the third Friday of each month.
Next: Friday, May 16, 2014 @ 8-9:30 am
If you have not previously attended this group but are a mental health or healthcare professional and would like to participate, please contact me first.
Coordinator: Julie Schirmer will moderate this meeting. Thanks, Julie
- Welcome to guests and new members, introductions.
- Brief Mindfulness Exercise. Julie or a volunteer will lead the group through a brief centering exercise.
- Topic: Neurophysiology of Pain. Steve Hull will present his portion of the workshop we (Steve and Joel) are presenting at the ACBS World Conference in Minneapolis this summer. The workshop in MN is titled “ACT for Chronic Pain: Delivering effective multidisciplinary treatment to any community.” Here is a summary of the workshop.
- Resources: n/a
- Planning. We will spend a few minutes near the end to plan future meetings and identify someone to take the lead coordinating the next meeting.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Study Groups
Led by Joel Guarna, PhD
1st Mondays ACT Study Group
Next meeting will be May 5, 2014 @ 8 am
- Our discussion will focus on case consultations. Please bring a case to discuss.
- Consider what topics and formats you would like use going forward. Another book? More case consultation? Specific trainings on certain ACT topics?
The 1st Mondays ACT Study Group remains full and closed at this time. Please let me know if you want to be on the waiting list to join this group. Please note, however, that there have only been a couple of vacancies in this group over the past two years.
2nd ACT Study Group: The 1st Wednesdays (noon) ACT Study Group was discontinued due to having an insufficient number of participants. I remain open to reforming a second ACT Study group on another Monday of the month @ 8 am or perhaps on another day/time (e.g., Wed or Friday @ noon). If you are interested, please contact me and we can discuss options and perhaps launch when there are a sufficient number of participants.
The Evolution Science & Behavior Study Group (EvoS)
will typically meet on the fourth Wednesday of each month @ 6 pm.
**Exception: April’s meeting will be on week 5: April 30**
Teresa Valliere and I (Joel Guarna) will be coordinating this group.
Next: Wednesday, April 30 @ 6 pm
Location: Great Lost Bear on Forest Ave in Portland
3. Evolution for Everyone by David Sloan Wilson. This month, we will focus on chapters 10-15.
4. Repeated from last month: If you are biting at the bit and want a preview of where we might go with this study group, check out the previous post for Feb 2014 and follow links to some audio interviews with David Sloan Wilson or visit the EvoS page on this blog for some additional resources and videos. If you are interested in the interplay of EvoS and ACT as applied to groups, check out this video conversation between David Sloan Wilson and Steven Hayes on the Prosocial project.
If you want to join us but haven’t already confirmed with Teresa or me, please let us know with a quick email.
Hope to see you there.