1st Maine ACT Weekend Conference
ACT in Action: Taking The Practice Deeper
Sept 12-14, 2014
Cushing Island, Portland, Maine
14 CEUs (pending approval)
Flyer | Registration Form | Cushing Ferry Info | Cushing Ferry Schedule
You are invited to join an experiential ACT weekend on Cushing Island sponsored and facilitated by members of the ACT Peer Consultation and Study Groups in Portland.
The purpose of the weekend is to review the ACT model (very briefly!) and move into practice sessions. We’ll do this on two levels – as clinicians and as participants – so you are invited to take both an intellectual and personal perspectives. There will be a variety of topics, and all will weave into the development of 6 major processes of psychological flexibility.
- getting present
- unhooking from difficult thoughts
- expanding to unwanted experiences
- taking alternative perspectives
- holding on to values
- moving into action
All participants are encouraged to bring ACT metaphors, activities and resources to share throughout the weekend. We will gather to harvest and share our experience and wisdom.
Cost: Fees are “flat fees” and are set low enough just to cover the cost of renting the space for the weekend. Facilitators are volunteering their time and paying the same fees. The cost to participate in workshops is $80 (whether you come just for the day on Saturday or attend programming on Friday and Sunday also) or $100 to stay over.
We will apply for CEUs for some professions once we see who is coming. Up to 14 CEUS will be presented in total.
Friday Sept 12 5-7 PM Arrival and checking in
7-9 PM Welcome and housekeeping
Set personal and professional intentions for the weekend
Practicing compassion for self and other
Saturday Sept 13 9:00-4:00 see below
Sunday Sept 14 9:00-4:00 see below
Final schedule under development – following topics in process:
- Psych Flexibility: The Core of ACT
- Using Yoga to Get Present
- Mindful Aging
- Spirituality and ACT
- Defusion through Humor
- Expanding to the Uncomfortable
- Island Adventure – Being Present in Nature
- Perspective taking
- ACT with Adolescents
- RAIN Exercise
- Exploring Values with Adolescents
- Savoring the Positive
- Mantra Exposure
- Substance Abuse
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Study Groups
Led by Joel Guarna, PhD
1st Mondays ACT Study Group
Please note that the September meeting is moved to the second Monday in September due to Labor Day!
Next meeting will be September 8, 2014 @ 8 am
- Update on the upcoming Cushing Island Retreat!
- Stuck points: As you try to be a flexible, open, effective helper, where do you get stuck? What seems to be in the way of using ACT with greater proficiency?
- Case presentations and discussion. Bring a case or clinical challenge to discuss.
- Set an agenda for Fall 2014.
The Evolution Science & Behavior Study Group (EvoS)
will typically meet on the fourth Wednesday of each month @ 6 pm.
Teresa Valliere and I (Joel Guarna) will be coordinating this group.
**Due to vacations and other schedule conflicts, we decided to cancel the August meeting of the EvoS study group. See you in September! **
Next: Wednesday, September 24th @ 6 pm
Location: Great Lost Bear on Forest Ave in Portland
3. TBD (check back)
If you want to join us but haven’t already confirmed with Teresa or me, please let us know with a quick email.
Hope to see you there.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Peer Consultation Group
The ACT Peer Consultation Group meets on the third Friday of each month.
Next: Friday, August 15 @ 8-9:30 am
If you have not previously attended this group but are a mental health or healthcare professional and would like to participate, please contact me first.
Coordinator: Joel (I got my dates mixed up, turns out I WILL be here.)
The August meeting will be back to our usual location in the MMC-Family Practice conference room.
- Welcome to guests and new members, introductions.
- Brief Mindfulness Exercise. Steve Hull will lead the group through a short mindfulness exercise.
- Topic: Cushing Island Retreat. Brief discussion about the state of planning for the upcoming (Sept 12-14) ACT retreat. Teresa will provide an update and recruit both attendees and presenters!
- Case Presentations. Please be sure to bring a case or clinical situation to present to the group for feedback and discussion. Based on past experiences, we will probably get to 2-3 cases over the 90 minutes.
- Resources: n/a
- Planning. We will spend a few minutes near the end to plan future meetings and identify someone to take the lead coordinating the next meeting.